Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What to Install After a Fresh XP Install

his post is more of a note to me so I know what to do when I need to install XP again, as I have just un-installed Vista after a months use and gone back to XP.

The honest truth is Vista is a very poor OS, even Microsoft admits that Vista is broken, Microsoft own vice president Mike Nash couldn't get things done in Vista.

I had a lot of problems with Vista, most of my games didn't work with Vista, I have a £100 printer that's as good as a brick because it's not compatible and copying files to a USB device took forever. I haven't got the best PC in the world but its still a pretty good PC and got a Windows Experience Index Score of 4.1, but when I was running Vista it was very slow and painful to use.

I did like the look of Vista and some of the new features, like the Sidebar the fast search results and the start menu, so I found away to get these features in XP without losing performance and stability.

How to give XP some of the features Vista has.

Themes.

Install royale-noir first then Royale-Remixed, when "Display Properties" window opens after installing Royale-Remixed choose the "Media Center Edition 2006" theme then open "Appearance tab" and choose "Royale" then under "Color Scheme" choose "Royale Noir".

The Royale-Noir theme uses the same resources as the default XP theme so it won't bog down the system, this is the best theme to use if you would like to use a dark UI. The Royale-Noir theme was actually developed by the Microsoft design team and that's why you don't need to use the Uxtheme patch to use this, you can read more about the theme here.

Programs.

To add additional gadgets to the Vista Sidebar you need to add them manually, download the gadget that you want from Windows Live and use a program like WinRAR/7-Zip to extract the contents to a folder, then name the folder to what ever the gadget is called then put .Gadget to the end of the name e.g. BBCRadio.Gadget

Then all you need to do is place that folder to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Shared Gadgets



If you are using SP3 and don't mind playing about with the system files, you can replace the Uxtheme.dll file with this patch and use this theme to give you a better Vista look.



Free programs for a complete OS after XP is installed.

These are the programs I install, you may not need to install all of them so check out the program first to see if its a program you would use.

Not free but worth the money.

  • Nero An all in one burning and coveting program, plus many other features.

  • PowerISO


If there is a program you still need that isn't listed have a look at my list of free software, there maybe something there that might help.

FOR more Goto: LINK

23 comments:

  1. Or just install Vista instead of skinning XP to hell and back to look like Vista.
    Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, vista sucks, why would you want to have XP look like vista, its a step backwards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. People need to stop recommended KLite Codec Pack. It breaks codecs. Use CCCP instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. c'mon, where's your sense of style. It's a well known fact that if you enjoy your interface, you'll be more productive. Just ask Apple--they spent gazillions on this study. Vista's not a step backwards, it just doesn't suit your needs. I love that you can change the look of your interface.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm, you're missing a download accelerator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer Miranda (www.miranda-im.org) instead of Pidgin; Flashget as download manager; Cabos for P2P

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow im so glad I found this blog this post helped me alot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great site and too bad I found this a lil too late... but for those who criticize vista and its looks:

    yeah we all know vista is a piece of garbage, but some people do prefer the theme... so, why not merge the theme of vista and the stability of XP? that's probably the idea that the maker of these themes had in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  9. With new elements and fabulous designs, Vista is cool but has less compatibility.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With new elements and fabulous designs, Vista is cool but has less compatibility. I would prefer Xp

    ReplyDelete
  11. O. bhootni ke, Samajh ja, Vista bekar hai

    ReplyDelete
  12. do nothing coz xp sucks big time

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post u have here :D Added to my RSS reader

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, i see, some people facing problem with vista, so, its great idea for those people, they using xp with vista flavor. whats wrong???
    its not step to backward!!!
    its step to ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't normally comment on blogs but your post was a real help. Thank you for a great topic, I will be sure to bookmark your site and check it out again. Cheers, Amy xXx.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, interesting post! I’m an assistant in computer hardware store as part of my part time job till end of my college. I sometimes help out in the online promotion of the store

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Guys,

    Thought i would introduce myself and say Hi :) i'm kirsty from The UK, i hope to post more in future.

    mwah x

    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  19. ? ??? ?? ??????? ? ??? ?? ?????? ????????

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, my name is Shanti Sherna from Ukraina. I'm 27 y.
    I just love to read this forum articles & topics discussed here.

    regards
    Shanti
    [http://www.buyvigrx.us]vigrx[/url]

    ReplyDelete