Saturday, March 7, 2009

Plantronics Voyager 855 Stereo BT Headset

It’s been a while since a Plantronics Bluetooth headset made its way to our test tables. Plantronics Voyager 855, their Stereo Bluetooth headset that won Bluetooth SIG’s (Special Interest Group) Best of CES last year, is what I tested recently and here’s my opinion on whether or not it’s worth its hefty price tag of Rs. 6, 799.
Form Factor
The 855 is very unlike most A2DP headsets that I’ve tested so far at least when it comes to its design. It can be used as just a singular, regular Bluetooth handsfree by simply replacing the over-the-ear earpiece connector with a regular loop. The loop connector connect to the secondary earpiece via a thin cable that’s encased in a fine cord for protection and durability thereby providing a stereo effect.

On the main earpiece is a micro USB port for charging (can be charged via PC as well). A small Mute button, volume keys and of course, the main Answer key that doubles up as the power/pairing button are present. The earpiece itself is sleek and slim with a smooth slide out feature that extends the mic and can also be used to answer and end calls.
I’m not at all a fan of the in-ear earphones. They make me disoriented and frankly, as Gagan put it and I agreed, are like a ‘violation’ of my ears, if you get my meaning. The design is however very innovative and will be perfect for those users who don’t mind the vacuum and are used to the in-ear styling. 

Performance
The Voyager is extremely easy to pair with Plantronics QuickPair technology. Then again I haven’t found a headset that was a problem when it came to pairing with any supported device. Once it’s paired with a mobile handset or a player that supports a Stereo Bluetooth profile you’re ready to get started.
Calls
Like I said, I’m not personally a fan of the in-ear design but I had a few friends who wore it to give me some feedback. The consensus was that the loop was a minor issue with most of them who had smaller ears as compared to those with average or larger ears. You can’t win ‘em all. On an average the headset was fairly comfortable to use and since it weighs in at just 15 grams, it’s not a weight you can’t bear even for long durations.

Full Post

No comments:

Post a Comment